Friday, April 27, 2012

Goodbye Processed, Hello Paleo!


by Laura Burton

Well, I decided to give it a go. After several weekends of weddings, new cities, and social events, each boasting an array of culinary treats (that this foodie gladly took advantage of), I could tell my body was seeking a respite from some of the processed, high-sugar foods I had been so graciously feeding it.

I stumbled across a blog where the author announced she was starting “Whole30” that day. I was curious, so I looked into it. Whole30 is pretty much a 30-day “Paleo Diet.” This plan requires that you eliminate certain food groups that could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness. What’s allowed? Meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. What’s NOT allowed? Added sugar, artificial sugar, alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, carrageenan, MSG, sulfites, and white potatoes. Oh, and no paleo-fying dessert or junk food choices, which means no paleo pancakes…(sigh). The idea is to focus on making good food choices for 30 days with the purpose of feeling and performing better. The dietitian in me was intrigued! The food lover in me was terrified.

Today is Day 20. 

My body began to feel differently from day 1. The first few days I had a mild headache, which I attributed to my body mourning the absence of its regular pick-me-up: sugar.  I immediately felt that my energy level was not only higher, but more consistent throughout the day. No more ups and downs based on my blood sugar. I began sleeping better and feeling more hydrated within days. To my excitement, my stomach felt more full after eating since my intake mainly consisted of high-volume foods: fruits and vegetables. Pleasantly surprised, I forged on with a sense of confidence that I might actually be able to do this!  

Mentally, I realized that this would be no easy feat. First, I longed for those foods I couldn’t have – and not just sugary treats. I remember at one point standing in front of my pantry, staring at the Fiber One box (Fiber One of all things!) nearly in tears as I realized I would spend the next twenty-something days eating eggs and fruit for breakfast.  [Confession: I might have an unhealthy attachment to cereals of all kind.] Second, I quickly learned that planning ahead was essential. I had to thoughtfully plan every meal and every snack to be sure I was getting the nutrients and energy I needed. 

It quickly became evident that my thought processes regarding food were really changing. I became more aware of impulses to eat throughout the day, and rather than feeding my ‘cravings,’ I analyzed them. I was becoming a more mindful eater! I noticed that the complete removal of large food groups really works to my advantage since it eliminates the option of coming up with creative excuses to eat this or that, thus making food choices easier and helping me achieve compliance. Furthermore, the paleo diet got me out of my food comfort zone and forced me to experiment with different foods that I have come to love. Spaghetti squash has surprised me – I feel like I am enjoying a big bowl of pasta! Crunchy carrot chips with “Wholly Guacamole” is my new snack of choice. The other day I tried my hand at homemade slaw made with beautiful red cabbage, julienned carrots, cilantro, and a delicious, simple dressing of canola oil and lime juice. I have actually started to enjoy the process of preparing my foods because there is such purpose behind it. Sure, it takes more time. But I'm doing something good for myself.

From a dietitian’s standpoint, I have some reservations about the paleo diet. Vegetable protein sources like soy and legumes, which are off-limits on the paleo diet, are a heart-healthy way to get protein. In addition, whole grains can be a very beneficial part of a healthy diet when eaten in moderation. I question how realistic and healthful this type of plan would be long-term. But I can say with confidence that the past 20 days have shaped my relationship with food for the better, and that this experience will foster a more thoughtful approach to feeding my body for years to come.

I'll check back in in another 20 days to let you know how things are going post-Paleo...

No comments:

Post a Comment