Friday, February 24, 2012

Things you learn in the grocery store: 3 common mistakes made in the gym


I have a knack for choosing the longest, slowest line at the grocery store (please tell me I’m not alone in this feat).  This rainy, dreary afternoon was no different, but I did overhear a couple discussing their frustration with weight loss and how exercise just "doesn't work."  I tried not to eavesdrop, but honestly I was hanging onto every word they said.  I wasn't getting any closer to checking out, so we stood in line, they discussed, and I listened. 

There are several different directions to go with this topic, but I chose to tackle (in my own head of course) the top three mistakes people make in the gym with exercise.  First, the body responds to change, and it is all too common (and easy) to start an exercise program and the next thing you know time has elapsed and you are doing the exact same thing over and over again.  Not only is this monotonous and mundane, but you won’t be optimizing the many benefits of physical activity.  There is a term in exercise world referred to as the 'overload principal' that simply states you have to be constantly thinking ahead and looking for the next step.  Take for example, walking for 30 minutes on a treadmill.  You will get a lot more out of this activity if you give yourself permission to push buttons.  Try mixing up the speed/grade/intensity.  Try a different exercise all together.  You may find you can decrease your time while increasing intensity, and who wouldn’t want more time on their hands. 

Second, one of my favorite adapted sayings in the gym has become “you have to straighten before you can strengthen.”  I find this especially true of people beginning an exercise program.  Keep in mind we learn to crawl before we walk and walk before we run; the same holds true with focusing on proper form and technique.  This statement encompasses a broad spectrum, but if you are not completing full range of motion on a bicep curl or maintaining proper posture on the elliptical machine you may be in fact setting yourself up for injury.  Maybe even more common, I run into a lot of people with back and neck pain.  There could be a lot of reasons for this, but if you are not addressing the potential postural problems with flexibility, and proper weight training, you could end up aggravating a problem.

Third, when I finally made it out of the grocery store, I hear my new friends say, “I want to get rid of these love handles and I do over 100 sit-ups every day.”  Wow, where do I start?  They have the strongest abs of anyone I know but it’s all behind a layer of fat.  We all know what love handles are, and we all want to get rid of them.  The question is how do we do it?  The ‘love handle’ is basically a build up of fat around the waist, and all the crunches, twists, and sit-ups in the world won’t get rid of them.  The answer to getting rid of fat throughout the body requires a combination of cardio, resistance training and a solid diet plan that leads to a calorie deficit. 

While exercise is something that feels natural (at least to some), there is a right way and a wrong way to approach it. Set yourself up for success by staying informed. Let’s get moving together!

No comments:

Post a Comment